18+ Cards Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who can apply for the 18+ Card?

A. Anyone 18 years or older, or turning 18 within one month.

Q. When can I apply for an 18+ Card?

A. Anytime ON, AFTER or ONE MONTH PRIOR TO your 18th Birthday.

Q. Where can I pick up an 18+ Application form?

A. Any NZ Post outlet in New Zealand. For a listing of your closest outlet please go to www.nzpost.co.nz and click on the shop locator. Forms are available at other locations throughout the country (i.e. bottle stores, tertiary providers, bars, etc), you will however need to take your completed application form to a NZ Post outlet to get them checked and processed.

Q. How much does an 18+ Card Cost??

A. $50, from 1 February 2018.

Q. Will I need any existing ID?

A. Yes. You will need one form of Primary ID either:
  • Passport (NZ or overseas, current or have expired in the two years prior to applying)
  • Full Original Birth Certificate
  • NZ Photo Driver Licence
  • Firearms Licence
  • Current 18+ card
  • Certificate of identity, residency, or citizenship
If you don’t have one of these forms of ID you will not be able to apply for an 18+ Card.

Q. How long will it take for me to receive my 18+ Card?

A. Approximately 2 weeks. There is no way to fast-track this process. If you've been waiting for longer than this, please contact us on 04 381 9937, between 9am and 5pm, Mon - Fri.

Q. I've moved since I applied for my 18+ card - can I get it posted to my new address?

A. Yes, however you will need to provide proof of address as you did with your original application. This can be faxed to 04 384 8044, emailed to nsc@hospitalitynz.org.nz or posted to PO Box 503, Wellington. It is recommended that you also arrange a re-direction on your mail with NZ Post.

Q. What if my 18+ card has been lost, stolen or damaged?

A. You will need to apply for a replacement card by completing another 18+ card application form in full, including supplying a photo. The replacement card will cost you a further $50 and will take the standard processing time of approximately 2 weeks. If you’ve been waiting for longer than this, please contact us on 04 381 9937, between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. If you card has been stolen it is advisable to report this at your local Police station.

Q. Who can complete the Identifier Statement?

A. Anyone who:
  • Has known you for over a year
  • Isn’t a relative or spouse
  • Is 20 years of age or older
  • Doesn’t live at the same address as you
  • Has an Current Passport, NZ Driver Licence or 18+ Card

Q. How long is an 18+ card valid for?

A. 10 years from date of issue.

Q. If I’ve changed my name, what do I need to do to get a new 18+ Card?

A. Complete the application form as normal, but you will also need to provide the document showing the name change, for instance your marriage certificate.

Back to Home Page