Hospitality NZ 18+ Card Evidence of Age Document

The Hospitality NZ 18+ card is an approved photographic Evidence of Age Document under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012, and along with photo driver licence or passport is a means by which young people can establish that they are over 18 and entitled to purchase alcohol.

To apply for your 18+ card you will need:

  • A passport-sized photograph. If you don’t have one you can get one taken at selected PostShops (for a fee) when you apply.
  • Proof of your address.
  • Photo ID to prove who you are, this can be your:
    • current 18+ Card
    • passport
    • New Zealand driver licence
    • firearms licence
    • certificate of identity (issued under the Passports Act 1992)
    • refugee travel document (issued by or for the New Zealand Government)
    If you do not have one of these, you can still apply – you need someone who can prove you are over 18 and some other form of identification, like your birth certificate. Check step 5.1 of the application form for a list of what other form of identification is acceptable.

When can I apply?

You can apply for your card up to 1 month before you turn 18. You will not get the card until after you have turned 18.

Where do I apply?

You need to take your completed form, $50, all your identification and proof of address to your nearest PostShop.

What happens next?

  • Keep hold of your receipt until you have received your card.
  • NZ Post will send your application to be processed.
  • You will get your 18+ Card delivered by courier in about 2 weeks.

Frequently Asked Questions

Need more information? Read our list of frequently asked questions.
If you have further queries you can phone us on 04 381 9937, between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.